Certificate in Writing Competency
This certificate of achievement requires the successful completion of thirteen - fourteen units of English composition course work and may be used as verification of writing competency for entry-level jobs in fields including:
- composition tutoring,
- editing and publishing,
- theater and entertainment,
- freelance writing,
- university or college teacher assisting.
|Select one (1) of the following reading and composition courses:|
|Reading and Composition||4|
|Reading and Composition - Honors||4|
|Reading and Composition, Enhanced||5|
|Reading and Composition||5|
|Select one (1) of the following composition and critical thinking classes:|
|Composition and Critical Thinking||3|
|Composition and Critical Thinking - Honors||3|
|Select one (1) of the following courses:|
|Reporting and Writing News||3|
|Introduction to Literature||3|
|Film as Literature||3|
|Film as Literature - Honors||3|
|Required rhetoric course:|
|ENGL 104||Argumentative Writing and Critical Thinking||3|
|or ENGL 104H||Argumentative Writing and Critical Thinking - Honors|
Certificate of Achievement Level Student Learning Outcomes
Students completing the Writing Competency Certificate of Achievement will:
- Employ a variety of rhetorical techniques in order to write multi-paragraph essays.
- Use correct spelling, grammar, punctuation and capitalization in order to demonstrate knowledge of the conventions of the English language.
- Use the Internet and word processing programs in order to compose and revise written work.
- Critically analyze and synthesize source material to demonstrate ability to write at the college level.